Sunday, July 20, 2014

Competition Begins: AM Flight


Morning competition came with a flurry of activity and first flight jitters (and trips to the bathroom if your name is Todd or Andrew - sorry for that one ladies, guys you will understand!).  Team USA had two wind-readers rolling a good 45 minutes prior to briefing time. 


Loggers had to be picked up prior to the briefing and competitors are "in charge" of it for the entire week.  After the flight, the "chip" is removed, downloaded, and handed right back to the competitor.

Briefing went quickly, with three tasks called. 


After the pilots were released, everyone on Team USA seemed to scatter in different directions.  Amazingly enough, after 30 minutes of looking for a launch spot in the fog (yes fog, I will get to that in a minute), we all ended up in the same plowed red dirt field (I will get to the red dirt later as well), along with about half the competitive field.  Task three required pilots to declare their "donut" coordinates prior to 7:30 in their logger.  At 7:20 Andy Baird radioed to Team USA that there was only 10 minutes left to declare.  At that same time I heard Todd yell "Matt get the logger".  Can honestly say I have not run that fast, particularly across a plowed field.  But like the 42 year old with cat like reflexes I am, I had to logger to Todd and the coordinates punched in with 3 minutes to spare!

FOG
Apparently there is no VFR requirements in Brazil (Race Director even said to me after the flight, its not a problem once you get above it) as the Fog grew heavy at times.  I will let the pictures speak for themselves.



The fog cleared for the most part, at least at the airport by the time the pilots got to the second target.  Lots of steering above, but within 500 ft of the ground conditions were light and variable.  For a while I was able to provide some useful information to Todd as he made his approach, but as the L&V conditions became even more L&V and one point Todd asked when he should come down, and apparently my response of "I have no f^#@ing idea" was not very helpful (It did get a good laugh however after the flight).

After a nice drop at the field, and some hanging out in the donut (which closed at 9:30), it was time to land.  At landing Todd was not only greeted by his crew, but I believe half of Rio Claro was there as well.  After a few "selfies" with the locals, Todd "the Rock Star" Isley finally allowed his crew to put the balloon away.

Ok, have to go as we already have to go back to the 2:30pm briefing.  Had about an hour in the room to get ready for the next flight.  Days are going to go quick.  I will share scores as soon as I know them!






No comments:

Post a Comment